A tender, apple-laden and sweetly spiced crumb meets a warm, nutty glaze to create this perfect winter treat. These donuts are our favorite way to show a little love during a chilly winter—they're essentially a hug you can eat, and we're all for it. Let's get baking!
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour and 1/4 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsps. cinnamon
- ½ tsp Allspice
- 1 Tbsp. Orange zest
- 1 egg room temperature
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup brown or coconut sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- ¼ cup greek yogurt, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup shredded apples (we used Honeycrisp)
Almond Butter Glaze
- 2 Tbsp. Big Spoon Almond Butter with Wildflower Honey
- 3 Tbsps. almond milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- Pinch sea salt
- Chopped sunflower seeds or pistachios for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a donut pan.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together (oat flour to orange zest).
- In a separate bowl, beat egg and sugars until frothy. Add in remaining wet ingredients and mix until smooth (eggs to vanilla).
- Combine wet and dry ingredients until well incorporated.
- Gently fold in the shredded apples.
- Pour batter into a piping bag (or zip lock bag with one corner cut off). Pipe batter into each donut cavity, about 3/4 full. Recipe should make 12 donuts.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool slightly then remove from donut pan. Let cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze, combine all of the ingredients and mix well until it is a smooth consistency.
- Dunk each donut into the glaze and top with chopped nuts.
- 10. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Danilicious Dishes.